Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Put Your Shoulder To The Wheel

Okay, so I just realized that I have been writing this blog for almost 7 months and have not once written about my job. I’ve sort of side skirted the topic once or twice talking about driving to work, or getting off work early, but haven’t really said anything about the actual job. I would have thought I would have written something about the place where I go for almost half my waking life, but I haven’t. So here goes. I like my work as much as most people like work. It’s definitely not what I had planned doing with my degree (answering phones doesn’t really fit the English category unless you count speaking English to the people who call in and that’s a bit of a stretch) and I would never have guessed that at one point in my career I would be doing work for the accounting department seeing as how I am completely numerically illiterate. But it is so. I’ve been a jack of many trades for my office and have done work for just about every department including customer service, accounting, purchasing and of course the administrative work for the main office. It’s actually been interesting having the opportunity to learn how to do things that I wouldn’t have before and I feel pretty useful since I can help out in so many areas. Knowing so many aspects of what goes on in our office definitely comes in useful when I have people calling in with questions, and since I do have to answer all kinds of crazy calls since (at least in title) I’m just the receptionist, I can be everyone’s happy little helper. I have to admit, it is a little demoralizing being called a receptionist since I do so many other things, but I suppose that every job has its down side. I’m not going to say that’s the only down side, I’ve definitely had a few issues with the company, but deep down I think that the up sides to the job have outweighed the down sides. So all in all, I would have to say that my job has been a more positive experience than a negative one which is more than I can say for other jobs that I’ve had.

No comments: