Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Education Continues

I don’t know if it’s too late to write about the first Utes’ game of the season, but it was so much fun that I thought I’d go ahead and do it anyway. Back in a previous life (college) I obviously didn’t learn the lessons I was supposed to about college football, so I’ve been brought back to try again and hopefully get it right this time. With the help of my trusty football Guru, Chris, I’m learning all the essentials of:
Tailgating – a portable satellite and flat screen television set up under a tent to watch and boo on BYU are a must have. The czar of tailgates must arrive a good six hours before kickoff to begin preparing the smorgasbord of ribs, potatoes, rolls, salad, crumb cake etc. Of course the smorgasbord can vary from game to game to include elements of mascots of rival teams (such as Frog Legs when we play TCU). Manly chanting (Buck, Buck, Buck, Buck, Buck) is encouraged, though not requisite. Wives are allowed to come a mere 2 hours early, but any man arriving so close to game time will be teased unmercifully.
At The Game – The Utes are awesome.
After the Game – Results may vary, but according to my Guru (who is definitely biased against), staying for the fireworks is definitely not acceptable even though we will be walking right under them on the way to the car. A quick stop over at Maverick for more talk about the game and how the Utes are awesome and how BYU sucks is a good idea. Then one can go home and revel in the after-a-great-win euphoria. Here is a picture of my Guru and myself reveling in our after-a-great-win euphoria.

No comments: